News in Brief: A National Roundup
Wash. State Student Shot, Killed at High School
An 18-year-old student was in custody last week, accused of fatally shooting a fellow student at a Tacoma, Wash., high school.
Tacoma police arrested Douglas Chanthabouly on Jan. 3 in a wooded area near Henry Foss High School. About two hours earlier, Samnang Kok, 17, suffered three fatal bullet wounds in a hallway of the school.
Police spokesman Mark Fulghum said Mr. Chanthabouly had been booked on charges of first-degree murder and was scheduled to appear in court for arraignment on Jan. 4.
Mr. Chanthabouly knew Mr. Kok, and they had had a disagreement of some kind, but details of their dispute had not yet been ascertained, Mr. Fulghum said last Thursday. The suspect has no criminal record, he said.
The shooting took place at 7:30 a.m., just before the first bell sounded on the day students returned to school from their winter break.
An armed school resource officer summoned police, while teachers gathered students in classrooms, the Associated Press reported. Police inspected the building to ensure the area was safe before students were sent home for the rest of the day.
Vol. 26, Issue 18, Page 6
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN