Participation in Federal Summer Meals Program Drops
Only 18 out of every 100 students who receive free or reduced-price lunches during the school year participate in federal Summer Nutrition programs, according to a report by the Food Research and Action Center.
The report from the Washington-based organization also found that participation in summer meal programs fell 8.1 percent from July 2000 to July 2005. It concludes that sponsoring organizations and potential sponsoring organizations were put off by the programs' complex reporting and accounting requirements, causing some to drop the programs and others to decide not to offer them.
About 2.8 million children received federally funded meals at parks, schools, churches, recreation centers, and community sites during the summer of 2005.
- Senior Education Policy Analyst, North Carolina
- The Hunt Institute, Durham, NC
- Middle School Principal
- Roosevelt Children's Academy Charter School, Roosevelt, NY
- PRINCIPAL - POWELL MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Hernando County School District, Brooksville, FL
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, Houston, TX
- Engineering & Robotics Teacher
- String Theory Schools, Philadelphia, PA