News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
Panel Recommends Replacing N.J. School Building Agency
A gubernatorial panel in New Jersey has suggested replacing the embattled Schools Construction Corp. with a new group to oversee building and renovating schools.
The report by the Interagency Working Group on School Construction, issued March 15, found that “major operational and programmatic changes are necessary to move forward with a school construction program that will efficiently and effectively build schools for our children.”
The panel recommended that the new agency be reorganized to enhance accountability and transparency and to ensure “timely and meaningful” status reports on budget and construction. It must also take steps to ensure proper execution and monitoring of its contracts, the panel said.
The SCC currently oversees $3 billion worth of projects either planned or under construction. It has come under fire for mismanagement. ("N.J. Facility Fund Dries Up, Scores of Plans on Hold," Aug. 10, 2005.)
The working group plans to deliver another report in mid-May outlining suggested steps to shift the SCC’s work to a new agency.
Vol. 25, Issue 29, Page 31
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations