News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
Va. Governor Picks Education Secretary
Gov.-elect Timothy M. Kaine has chosen the president of a private liberal arts college in southwestern Virginia as the state’s new education secretary.
Thomas R. Morris, the president of the 1,000-student Emory & Henry College in Emory, Va. since 1992, is the final person to fill out Mr. Kaine’s Cabinet. He now must be confirmed by the legislature.
Mr. Morris, 61, will likely take a lead role in promoting one of the incoming governor’s main campaign promises, universal prekindergarten for 4-year-olds. He will not, however, have direct control over the state’s precollegiate system, which is overseen by the state board of education and the state superintendent, who is also appointed by the governor.
Jo Lynne DeMary, the former superintendent, left the department of education this month.
Vol. 25, Issue 19, Page 24
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME
- High School Director at KIPP Delta Public Schools
- On-Ramps, Blytheville, AR
- Claypit Hill Elementary School, Wayland, MA
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ