News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
Va. Governor Picks Education Secretary
Gov.-elect Timothy M. Kaine has chosen the president of a private liberal arts college in southwestern Virginia as the state’s new education secretary.
Thomas R. Morris, the president of the 1,000-student Emory & Henry College in Emory, Va. since 1992, is the final person to fill out Mr. Kaine’s Cabinet. He now must be confirmed by the legislature.
Mr. Morris, 61, will likely take a lead role in promoting one of the incoming governor’s main campaign promises, universal prekindergarten for 4-year-olds. He will not, however, have direct control over the state’s precollegiate system, which is overseen by the state board of education and the state superintendent, who is also appointed by the governor.
Jo Lynne DeMary, the former superintendent, left the department of education this month.
Vol. 25, Issue 19, Page 24
- Superintendent, City Schools of Decatur
- City Schools of Decatur, Decatur, GA
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN