News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
Kansas Board Member Blasts Evolution Backers
In the midst of a debate over evolution, a Kansas state board member has released a newsletter describing the theory as a “fairy tale” based on science that is rooted in “anti-God contempt and arrogance.”
In a newsletter to voters, Connie Morris wrote that Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution “is biologically, genetically, mathematically, chemically, metaphysically, and etc. wildly and utterly impossible.”
In the statement, Ms. Morris describes herself as a Christian who believes in a literal interpretation of life’s origins as described in the Bible’s book of Genesis.
Kansas’ 10-member board is considering revising the state’s science standards to include more criticism of evolution. At its June 15 meeting, the board indicated it would likely take public comment on the proposal, with a possible vote on final standards in August or September.
Vol. 24, Issue 41, Page 25
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA