News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
N.J. Watchdog to Review Construction Contracts
New Jersey’s new inspector general has instructed the state’s school construction agency not to issue new contracts unless she has approved them.
After appointing Mary Jane Cooper in January, acting Gov. Richard J. Codey, a Democrat, asked her to focus first on the operations of the New Jersey Schools Construction Corp.
It had been announced previously that all the $8.6 billion the agency oversees would be committed by January 2006—four years ahead of schedule.
In a March 10 letter to Gov. Codey, Ms. Cooper said she wanted to review all new contracts and change orders, and would also review the agency’s protocols and internal controls. Kelly Heck, Mr. Codey’s spokeswoman, said the governor granted Ms. Cooper permission to do so. Existing contracts are unaffected, Ms. Heck said.
Vol. 24, Issue 28, Page 19
- Head of School
- Augusta Preparatory Day School, Martinez, GA
- Director of Auxiliary Programming
- Lovett School, Atlanta, GA
- Chief Academic Officer
- Cristo Rey Network, Chicago, IL
- Director of Information Technology
- Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD
- Director of Technology
- St. Paul's School for Girls, Brooklandville, MD