News in Brief: A State Capitals Roundup
Ohio Panel Issues School Finance Report
A panel convened by Gov. Bob Taft of Ohio issued 18 recommendations last week that it says would improve the way the state pays for public education.
Among the proposals: revamp Ohio tax rules so that local districts can receive more basic aid from the state, target money to the neediest students and school districts, and pay for initiatives that support research related to academic success.
Four Ohio Supreme Court rulings have declared the current funding system unconstitutional, though the responsibility for a fix has been left to the legislature.
Gov. Taft convened the 35-member board in 2003 to examine the state’s complex funding system for its 613 school districts. The panel’s report was released Feb. 2.
Vol. 24, Issue 22, Page 18
- SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS - CANTON, MS
- Canton Public School District, Canton, MS
- Upper School (6th-12th grade) General Studies Principal
- Robert M. Beren Academy, Houston, TX
- Superintendent, Clarke County Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Berryville, VA
- Classroom Teachers
- The Cambridge Schools, Doha, Qa, Qatar
- TEACHER RECRUITMENT
- Mott Haven Academy Charter School, Bronx, NY