News in Brief: A National Roundup
California Charter Teacher Denies Sexual Relationships With Students
A California teacher has pleaded not guilty to charges that she had sexual relationships with two of her middle school students. Sarah Bench-Salorio entered the pleas in Orange County Superior Court on Jan. 14, said Deputy District Attorney John Christl.
The English teacher had been charged with 20 counts of lewd acts upon a child, but prosecutors added eight more stemming from the same two relationships, Mr. Christl said.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Jan. 27.
Santiago Charter Middle School in Orange, Calif., notified Ms. Bench-Salorio, 28, that her contract will not be renewed next year. The Orange Unified school district board is weighing possible revocation of the school’s charter. ("Teacher’s Arrest Imperils Charter School," Jan. 19, 2005.)
Vol. 24, Issue 20, Page 4
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Multiple Positions
- Township High School District 113, IL