News in Brief: A National Roundup
California Charter Teacher Denies Sexual Relationships With Students
A California teacher has pleaded not guilty to charges that she had sexual relationships with two of her middle school students. Sarah Bench-Salorio entered the pleas in Orange County Superior Court on Jan. 14, said Deputy District Attorney John Christl.
The English teacher had been charged with 20 counts of lewd acts upon a child, but prosecutors added eight more stemming from the same two relationships, Mr. Christl said.
A preliminary hearing was scheduled for Jan. 27.
Santiago Charter Middle School in Orange, Calif., notified Ms. Bench-Salorio, 28, that her contract will not be renewed next year. The Orange Unified school district board is weighing possible revocation of the school’s charter. ("Teacher’s Arrest Imperils Charter School," Jan. 19, 2005.)
Vol. 24, Issue 20, Page 4
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV