Teacher’s Arrest Imperils Charter School
Orange, Calif., Board Considering Revoking School’s Agreement
A school board in California is considering revoking the quasi- independent status of a charter school that employed a teacher who is charged with having sex with two 13-year-old students.
Educators at Santiago Charter Middle School, in Orange, Calif., were still reeling from the shock of the Jan. 4 arrest of Sarah Bench-Salorio when they learned that the Orange Unified School District board, which granted the school’s charter in 1995, was considering revoking it because of concerns for the safety of its students.
The board of the 32,000-student district southeast of Los Angeles is scheduled to discuss the matter at...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
- Lake Forest School District 67 & 115, Lake Forest, IL
- Elementary Principal
- Forest Grove School District, Forest Grove, OR
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Literacy
- Regis University, Denver, CO
- Perspectives Charter Schools, Chicago, IL
- Princeton Public School District, Princeton, NJ