News in Brief: A National Roundup
Phoenix Boot-Camp Operator Found Guilty in Boy’s Death
A Phoenix boot-camp operator has been found guilty of reckless manslaughter after a 14-year-old camper died while in his care at the youth-disciplinary facility.
Karen Arra, the public-information officer for the Superior Court of Maricopa County, Ariz., said Charles Long, 59, was also found guilty last week of aggravated assault for threatening another youth. A mistrial was declared on eight other counts of child abuse, which were in connection with disciplining other children by making them sit in the sun for hours without adequate water.
Sentencing is set for Feb. 24, Ms. Arra said.
In July 2001, 14-year-old Anthony Haynes began acting erratically and eating dirt while sitting in a disciplinary line at the camp run by Mr. Long. A counselor and other campers took him to a hotel and placed the unconscious boy in a shower, where he inhaled water. They then took him back to the camp, where the boy died, despite resuscitation attempts. The death was ruled an accident.
Vol. 24, Issue 18, Page 4
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC
- Assistant or Associate Professor - Early Childhood/Literacy
- The College of Staten Island – The City University of New York, Staten Island, NY
- Chief Compliance Officer
- Sonoran Schools, AZ
- Executive Director
- Charter School NYC, New York, NY
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN