News in Brief: A National Roundup
Web Site Using Romer’s Name Barred From Displaying Porn
The Los Angeles Unified School District and its superintendent, Roy Romer, have obtained a court order to stop a man from displaying pornographic photos on a Web site that bears the superintendent’s name.
David M. Grant of Westlake Village, Calif., allegedly placed on the site photos of young men engaged in sex acts near a photo of Mr. Romer, under the title, “Roy Romer’s House of Ill Repute.”
Lawyers retained by the 720,000-student district obtained a U.S. District Court order on Oct. 29 that prohibits Mr. Grant from displaying the pictures on his site. The order was extended on Nov. 8.
The judge was still considering whether to bar Mr. Grant from operating a Web site under a domain name “confusingly similar” to Mr. Romer’s or the school district’s name.
Mr. Grant’s Web site details a 9-year-old grievance with district leaders over an injury claim.
He could not be reached for comment last week.
Vol. 24, Issue 12, Page 4
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Executive Director
- Aspen Academy, Savage, MN
- Glenbrook North High School, Glenview, IL