1. A block grant program allowing flexible spending on formerly free-standing programs that have not been allocated specific amounts in the fiscal 2002 and proposed fiscal 2003 budgets.
2. Congress and the White House are considering a midyear supplemental appropriation that would boost fiscal 2002 spending on Pell Grants to $11.3 billion or more.
3. Numbers shown in parentheses indicate obligations owed to the government, rather than anticipated expenditures.
4. Not all programs in this category are listed, or listing includes subtotals. Items do not add to total.
5. "Discretionary" appropriations subject to annual approval by Congress and the president. "Mandatory" appropriations triggered by existing law.
6. Administered by the Department of Health and Human Services.
7. Administered by the Department of Labor.
8. Administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, a division of the Department of the Interior.
9. The National Science Foundation and the Corporation for National Service function as independent agencies.
Vol. 21, Issue 41, Page 27