Law & Courts

Justices Decline Appeal Over Student’s Online Threat

By Mark Walsh — April 03, 2008 2 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Includes updates and/or revisions.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to review the case of an 8th grader who was suspended for an off-campus Internet message with a drawing that suggested a teacher should be shot.

The justices declined without comment on March 31 to hear the appeal of the family in Wisniewski v. Board of Education of the Weedsport Central School District (Case No. 07-987).

According to court papers, Aaron Wisniewski was a student at Weedsport Middle School in New York state in 2001 when he sent an instant message on America Online to a friend with an icon featuring a pistol firing bullets at a person’s head, with the words “Kill Mr. VanderMolen.” Philip VanderMolen was the boy’s English teacher. Aaron was suspended for one semester over the message.

The student and his parents challenged the discipline in court, arguing that the boy’s instant-messaging icon was protected by the First Amendment because it was not a true threat.

Both a federal district court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit, in New York City, ruled for the school district.

The appeals court panel said in its unanimous opinion that the student’s transmission of the icon “crosses the boundary of protected speech and constitutes student conduct that poses a reasonably forseeable risk that … it would materially and substantially disrupt the work and discipline of the school.”

The appeals court said the fact that the student had created and transmitted the icon outside of school did not insulate him from discipline. The fact that Aaron sent the icon to 15 recipients, including some of his classmates, made it foreseeable, if not inevitable, that it would become a disruptive influence at his school, the court said.

Morse

v.

Frederick

The appeals court’s July 5 ruling came just days after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a major decision on student-speech rights last June. In Morse v. Frederick, the high court held that a “Bong Hits 4 Jesus” banner displayed at a school-related event by an Alaska high school student was not protected under the First Amendment. (“Ruling in ‘Bong Hits’ Case Seen as Leaving Protection for Students’ Free Speech,” July 18, 2007.)

The 2nd Circuit court, in its Wisniewski decision, took brief note of the Morse ruling and suggested that it did not offer the Weedsport student much, if any, support.

The Morse decision was the topic of a session late last month at the National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys meeting in Orlando, Fla.

Despite what many observers viewed as a major legal victory for schools and administrators in exercising disciplinary authority over students, a presenter at the school lawyers’ group said Morse was “not a grand slam.”

“I don’t even think we hit a double,” Michael E. Smith, a Fresno, Calif., lawyer who represents school districts, said at the March 28 session. While there is much for schools to like in the ruling, he said, it was not as clear is it could have been in settling on a more precise legal standard for analyzing student free-speech claims.

A version of this article appeared in the April 09, 2008 edition of Education Week as Justices Decline Appeal Over Student’s Online Threat

Events

Student Well-Being & Movement K-12 Essentials Forum How Schools Are Teaching Students Life Skills
Join this free virtual event to explore creative ways schools have found to seamlessly integrate teaching life skills into the school day.
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Bridging the Math Gap: What’s New in Dyscalculia Identification, Instruction & State Action
Discover the latest dyscalculia research insights, state-level policy trends, and classroom strategies to make math more accessible for all.
Content provided by TouchMath
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
Too Many Initiatives, Not Enough Alignment: A Change Management Playbook for Leaders
Learn how leadership teams can increase alignment and evaluate every program, practice, and purchase against a clear strategic plan.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Law & Courts California Sues Ed. Dept. in Clash Over Gender Disclosures to Parents
California challenges U.S. Department of Education findings on state policies over gender disclosure.
4 min read
California Attorney General Rob Bonta speaks to reporters as Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes, left, and Oregon Attorney General Dan Rayfield, right, listen outside the Supreme Court on Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
California Attorney General Rob Bonta speaks to reporters outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington on Nov. 5, 2025, with Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes and Oregon Attorney General Dan Rayfield behind him. Bonta this week sued the U.S. Department of Education, asking a court to block the agency's finding that the state is violating FERPA by <ins data-user-label="Matt Stone" data-time="02/13/2026 4:22:45 PM" data-user-id="00000185-c5a3-d6ff-a38d-d7a32f6d0001" data-target-id="">not requiring schools to disclose</ins> students’ gender transitions <ins data-user-label="Matt Stone" data-time="02/13/2026 4:22:45 PM" data-user-id="00000185-c5a3-d6ff-a38d-d7a32f6d0001" data-target-id="">to</ins> parents.
Mark Schiefelbein/AP
Law & Courts Oklahoma Board Rejects Jewish Charter as Supreme Court Fight Looms
Oklahoma's charter school board rejected the Jewish school as members said their hands were tied.
4 min read
Ben Gamla Charter Schools founder and former U.S. Rep. Peter Deutsch, right, speaks with Brett Farley, executive director of the Catholic Conference of Oklahoma, left, before a Jan. 12 meeting of the Statewide Charter School Board in Oklahoma City. Both are founding board members of an Oklahoma Jewish Charter School.
Ben Gamla Charter Schools founder and former U.S. Rep. Peter Deutsch, right, speaks with Brett Farley, executive director of the Catholic Conference of Oklahoma, before a Jan. 12, 2026, meeting of the Statewide Charter School Board in Oklahoma City. The board rejected the proposed Jewish charter school on Feb. 9, 2026.
Nuria Martinez-Keel/Oklahoma Voice
Law & Courts Religious Charter Schools Push New Cases Toward Supreme Court
Advocates seeking to establish publicly funded religious schools in three states.
9 min read
The U.S. Supreme Court is seen, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026, in Washington.
The U.S. Supreme Court is seen on Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2026, in Washington. Religious charter advocates are betting a full Supreme Court will side with their efforts to establish religious charter schools.
Rahmat Gul/AP
Law & Courts Educators Sue Over ICE Activity on School Grounds and Nearby
The challenge targets the Trump administration's revocation of a policy that limited immigration enforcement at schools.
5 min read
A sign reading "Protect Neighbors" is posted near a bus stop as a school bus passes on Friday, Jan. 30, 2026, in Minneapolis.
A sign reading "Protect Neighbors" is posted near a bus stop in Minneapolis on Jan. 30, 2026. A lawsuit from two Minnesota school districts and the state's teachers' union says immigration agents have detained people and staged enforcement actions at or near schools, school bus stops, and daycare centers.
Kerem Yücel /Minnesota Public Radio via AP