Teacher recruitment fairs are great opportunities for face-to-face contact with possible employers. During this technology era there are very few opportunities for candidates to gain face-to-face exposure prior to the interview. Therefore, it’s important to make sure that your first impression is a lasting impression.
- Research the school district or organization prior to the event
- Dress appropriately
- Bring padfolio, pens, and résumés
- Develop an elevator pitch
- Send thank you notes immediately following the event
- Show up unprepared
- Answer your phone while speaking with an employer
- Ask about salary/benefits
- Dress unprofessionally
- Take free items without talking to the employer first
Tradara McLaurine, Assistant Director
Career Center, Indiana State University
The opinions expressed in Career Corner are strictly those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of Editorial Projects in Education, or any of its publications.