That approach may be especially important when it comes to the Civil War, educators and historians say, since public debates about its meaning are alive and well, and young people may be exposed to misinformation that original sources can dispel in compelling ways.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
Primary Sources in Civil War Studies
Have you incorporated primary sources into your Civil War studies? How so? Which primary sources do you consider most valuable when developing a curriculum based around the Civil War?
- High School Math Instructional Coach
- KIPP Philadelphia Public Schools, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Superintendent, Rockville Centre School District
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Rockville Centre, New York
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona
- Newport News Foundation Director
- Newport News Public Schools, Newport News, VA, US
- High School Principal
- Lewiston-Porter CSD, Youngstown, New York