During the summer I will be sharing thematic posts bringing together responses on similar topics from the past seven years. You can see all those collections from the first six years here.
Here are the ones I’ve posted so far:
This Year’s Most Popular Q&A Posts
Best Ways To Begin The School Year
Best Ways To End The School Year
Student Motivation & Social Emotional Learning
Today’s theme is on Parent Engagement In Schools. You can see the list following this excerpt from one of them:
* Building Relationships With Families of ELLs
Rusul Alrubail (who acted as “guest host” for this post), Anna Bartosik, Jordan Lanfair, Anabel Gonzalez, Karen Nemeth, and Judie Haynes offer suggestions on how to engage with parents of English-language learners.
* ‘Successful Schools Solicit’ Family Engagement
Debbie Silver, Jenny Edwards, Sean Slade, Judy Bradbury, and Nadja N. Reilly provide their commentaries on family engagement and schools.
* Seeing Families as ‘Co-Creators’ of Our Schools
Jennifer Orr, Shane Safir, Karen L. Mapp, Allen Mendler, Mary Tedrow, and Patricia Vitale-Reilly share their suggestions on how educators can engage families.
* Listening to Parents With Our Heads and Hearts
Katy Ridnouer, Janice Fialka, and Joe Mazza provide their guest responses.
* Parent Engagement Requires ‘Trust, Not Blame’
Jane Baskwill, Julia Thompson, and Bryon V. Garrett share their thoughts.
* Parents Can Teach Educators ‘Lessons About Learning and Life’
This post features contributions from Catherine Compton-Lilly, Dr. Sherrel Bergmann, Dr. Judith Brough, and Maurice J. Elias.
* Keys to Parent Engagement--Relationships, Climate, Communication
This piece post highlights responses from Darcy Hutchins and Mai Xi Lee, along with many readers’ comments.
* Embracing & Celebrating Diverse Families
Two author/educators, Cindi Rigsbee and Darcy J. Hutchins, provide guest responses here, along with contributions from readers.
* The Difference Between Parent “Involvement” & Parent “Engagement”
I describe the differences between the two models, and author Katy Ridnouer and assistant principal Mai Xi Lee also contribute their thoughts.
* Ways to Build Trust Between Parents & Teachers--Part One
Betsy Landers, National PTA President and Carrie Rose, Executive Director of the Parent/Teacher Home Visit Project provide guest responses in this post.
* A Conversation About Building Trust Between Parents & Teachers
Superintendent and author Steve Constantino and Principal Joe Mazza engage in a conversation about parent engagement.
In addition to these posts, you can find all my other favorite parent engagement resources here.
I hope you’ve found this summary useful and, again, keep those questions coming!
The opinions expressed in Classroom Q&A With Larry Ferlazzo are strictly those of the author(s) and do not reflect the opinions or endorsement of Editorial Projects in Education, or any of its publications.