Understanding 'Math Anxiety'
Stellar athletes, successful entrepreneurs, and motivational speakers like to say that pressure makes diamonds. The higher the stakes and the harder the circumstances, the thinking goes, the more likely we are to overcome our fears and doubts and produce results.
If only it were that simple in mathematics.
In recent years, researchers and educators have delved further into the topic of “math anxiety,” or the ways in which students’ lack of confidence in that subject undermines their academic performance. Today, the issue is receiving renewed attention from academic scholars and others, who believe that developing a better understanding of the causes and implications of math anxiety is a key to improving...
This article is available to registered guests only.
Register free, or login below, to continue reading.
To Access Teacher and Education Week Articles, FREE E-Newsletters, and More!
|FREE! (limited access)|
- Middle School Science Teacher
- The International Educator, Ecuador
- Upper School Principal
- Gulliver Schools, Pinecrest, FL
- Chief Schools Officer - International Baccalaureate (IB)
- International Baccalaureate, Bethesda, MD
- The International Educator, Japan
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO