News in Brief
Date Set for Release Of Social Studies Draft
A draft framework for common social studies standards is set to be released Nov. 17.
Social studies specialists have been working with state education officials and others to create standards in that subject. The document they've produced, which they're referring to alternately as a "draft framework" and "draft standards"—is scheduled to be released for public review at the National Council for the Social Studies' annual meeting in Seattle.
According to an NCSS press release, writers contributing to the effort—including the social studies collaborative of the Council of Chief State School Officers—will introduce the document and discuss the development of instructional and assessment materials. They will also detail the process for receiving public comment.
Early signs suggest it will not prescribe the specific issues, trends, or events that students should study, but rather describe the structure, tools, and habits of mind they need in order to undertake an exploration of the discipline.
Vol. 32, Issue 10, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA