News in Brief
N.C. Teacher Prep to Include Arts
Efforts to promote integration of the arts across the curriculum got a boost in North Carolina last month, when Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue signed legislation stipulating that those studying to become elementary teachers get some grounding in the concept.
The measure, contained in a broader education bill, says elementary education programs “shall ensure” that teacher-candidates “are prepared to integrate arts education across the curriculum.”
The legislature’s action comes on the heels of a report from a statewide panel appointed last year by the General Assembly.
Vol. 31, Issue 37, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD