News in Brief
ACLU Sues States on Single-Sex Classes
The American Civil Liberties Union announced last week that it is seeking to stop several states from "separating boys and girls in public schools," a practice that it says is "outdated" and based on "discredited science." Its effort includes sending cease-and-desist letters to school districts, where it says the practice is taking place or has taken place recently in such states as Alabama, Maine, Mississippi, Virginia, and West Virginia.
The civil liberties group is seeking public records on the matter from states, including Idaho, Massachusetts, and Washington. The ACLU argues that unless single-sex programs meet certain requirements, they violate federal law.
Vol. 31, Issue 33, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Special Education
- Reading School District, Reading, PA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Science Teacher
- Cle Elum-Roslyn School District, Cle Elum, WA
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC