Mixed Scorecard on Charter Bills in South
Legislation encouraging the growth of charter schools in two Southern states fell short of statehouse approval this year, despite strong support from Republican governors.
In Alabama, the House education committee this month effectively killed the proposed Education Options Act, which would have paved the way for the introduction and rapid expansion of charter schools in the state.
The original proposal from the House was a priority for GOP Gov. Robert Bentley this session. But conflicts arose between the House and Senate versions of the bill over whether as many as 20 new charter schools would be placed "near" low-performing schools, as the House version had it, or replace them....
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Amargosa Valley Elementary School, Amargosa Valley, NV
- Charter School Director (Head of School)
- International Preparatory Academy, Detroit, MI
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Chattahoochee Hills Charter School, Multiple Locations