News in Brief
Archdiocese to Close Fewer Phila. Schools
After hearing appeals, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced this month that it is making changes to its school organization plan and that fewer school buildings in the five-county diocese would be shuttered.
Church officials announced plans last month to close 45 elementary schools and four high schools in response to rising costs and declining enrollment. But church officials said they were revising the plan and now 33 elementary school buildings are slated to close.
The changes mean that 13,000 students will now be affected by closures, down from 21,000 affected when the plans were announced last month, according to the archdiocese.
Vol. 31, Issue 22, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh