News in Brief
Schools Must Report Harassment of Somalis
A settlement ending a federal civil rights investigation of the treatment of Somali students in St. Cloud, Minn., requires the school district to report all future allegations of harassment.
Under the agreement, announced last week, the district must make its schools more welcoming to Somalis, who have made up a growing percentage of the city’s population over the past decade as refugees and their families have settled in the area. The federal government, in return, will find that the district broke no federal rules in handling previous allegations, Superintendent Bruce Watkins said.
The investigation began last year at the request of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
Vol. 31, Issue 10, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL
- Director of Physical Education & Athletics
- Fallsburg Central School, Fallsburg, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Amityville Union Free School District, Amityville, NY