"Public Education Finances 2009"
New U.S. Census Bureau data show that on average public schools spent $10,499 per student in 2009, up 2.3 percent from 2008, likely because of the influx of federal grants awarded through the federal economic-stimulus packages that year.
The report covers all education money coming into and going out of districts, states, and the nation and includes breakouts for specific areas, such as salaries and instruction.
Districts nationwide spent $604.9 billion in 2009, up 2 percent from 2008, but they borrowed more to do it; district debt jumped 5.8 percent, to more than $399 billion, during the same time.
Vol. 30, Issue 33, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Chief Financial Officer
- Idaho Charter School Network, Boise, ID
- Wissahickon School District, PA
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- City of Cape Coral Charter Schools, Cape Coral, FL
- Permanent Head of School
- The Greta Berman Arbetter Kazoo School, Kalamazoo, MI