News in Brief
Atlanta Schools Chief Hall to Depart Next Spring
Superintendent Beverly L. Hall of the Atlanta public schools, whose tenure has been marked by improving student performance but also a test-cheating scandal, says she will leave her job in June after nearly 12 years.
Ms. Hall was named the American Association of School Administrators’ superintendent of the year last year. But critics called for her resignation after a statewide review found an unusually high number of erasures on standardized tests taken in spring 2009.
The superintendent described the test scandal as one of the greatest challenges the 50,000-student system has faced. In response to the allegations, she ordered tutoring for students at the affected schools, reassigned a dozen principals to jobs in which they do not directly work with students, and turned over the names of more than 100 educators to state authorities, who are investigating.
Vol. 30, Issue 13, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Superintendent of Schools
- Levittown Public Schools, Levittown, NY
- Superintendent, Clarke County Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Berryville, VA
- Co-Principal Vacancy
- Newport City Elementary School, Newport, VT
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO