News in Brief
Chicago Mayor Calls for Ending Race to Top
The Obama administration’s Race to the Top competition drew fire this month from an unexpected source: Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. The longtime Democratic mayor—who had picked Arne Duncan, now the U.S. secretary of education, to lead his city’s school system—said “we should end it,” when speaking about the $4 billion grant competition. He was apparently unhappy that Illinois was not one of the 12 winners. “That’s all it’s about: bureaucracy,” he said.
Vol. 30, Issue 05, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Austin Independent School District, Austin, TX
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- City of Cape Coral Charter Schools, Cape Coral, FL