News in Brief
Chicago Mayor Calls for Ending Race to Top
The Obama administration’s Race to the Top competition drew fire this month from an unexpected source: Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. The longtime Democratic mayor—who had picked Arne Duncan, now the U.S. secretary of education, to lead his city’s school system—said “we should end it,” when speaking about the $4 billion grant competition. He was apparently unhappy that Illinois was not one of the 12 winners. “That’s all it’s about: bureaucracy,” he said.
Vol. 30, Issue 05, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Senior Education Policy Analyst, North Carolina
- The Hunt Institute, Durham, NC
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, Houston, TX
- Assistant Principal - Drake High School
- Tamalpais Union High School District, San Anselmo, CA
- The New School Montessori, Cincinnati, OH
- Part-time AP class instructors - remote
- Ascendant Institute, US