News in Brief
L.A. Superintendent Retiring
Ramon C. Cortines, who leads the nations second-largest school district, plans to retire next spring after serving less than two years amid layoffs and controversial reform efforts in the Los Angeles Unified School District. He made the announcement shortly after the district hired John Deasy, a former deputy director of education for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, to be deputy superintendent. Mr. Cortines, 78, has already moved to a smaller office to give the deputy his larger office space, district spokesman Robert Alaniz said.
Vol. 29, Issue 37, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- District Superintendent
- Department of Defense Education Activity, Seoul, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of
- Herricks School District, New Hyde Park, NY
- Summer Math Curriculum Development Associate (3): Grades K-2; Grades 3-5; Grades 6-8
- The Partnership for Inner-City Education, New York, NY
- Young Scholars Program Director
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Lower School Principal
- St. Mary's Academy, Englewood, CO