News in Brief
Court Blocks School Closings
New York City did not follow state law when it moved to close 19 underperforming public schools, a state appeals court ruled this month. Under a New York law requiring public participation in decisions to close schools, the city was required to file impact statements detailing how each schools closing would affect its community. The Appellate Division agreed with a lower court that education officials failed to comply. The city's teachers union and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People sued.
Vol. 29, Issue 36, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Executive Director
- Charter School NYC, New York, NY
- Director: Assessment, Research & Evaluation
- Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District, Santa Monica, CA
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Head of School
- Brownell-Talbot School, Omaha, NE
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC