News in Brief
Middle School Civics Mandate Signed Into Law in Florida
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has signed a bill requiring middle school students to take a civics class and pass an end-of-course test in order to go on to high school.
Lawmakers said the requirement, signed into law last week, is needed because many citizens don’t know the difference between a state legislator and member of Congress—or even who is president.
The bill is called the Justice Sandra Day O'Connor Civics Education Act after the retired U.S. Supreme Court justice. Former Gov. and U.S. Sen. Bob Graham and ex-U.S. Rep. Lou Frey joined forces four years ago to push for such a requirement.
Vol. 29, Issue 32, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Richland School District One, Columbia, SC
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Dean of Students
- Diman Regional Vocational-Technical High School, Fall River, MA
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL