News in Brief
Mississippi Superintendent Calls for Charters in Troubled Districts
Mississippi’s incoming superintendent of education, Tom Burnham, says lawmakers should considering allowing the state board of education to consolidate the low-performing districts that it takes over and to establish charter schools in those districts.
Mr. Burnham’s suggestion came during a meeting of a task force on low-performing schools. He said he was making the recommendation because “in my mind you don’t give [the school system] back to the people who allowed it to fail to begin with.”
Under Mr. Burnham's concept, the state board would not be able to consolidate a low-performing district with another district unless the neighboring district agreed to the merger. The governor has formed a commission to study school district consolidation that is supposed to make a recommendation by April 1.
Vol. 29, Issue 16, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX