News in Brief
West Virginia Unions Sue Over Plans for Health-Care Changes
Organizations representing West Virginia’s teachers and school service personnel are suing to block a state agency’s decision to control health-care costs.
The American Federation of Teachers and the West Virginia School Service Personnel Association filed their joint lawsuit in Kanawha County Circuit Court on Oct. 9. The West Virginia Education Association filed a similar lawsuit last month.
The lawsuits come as Gov. Joe Manchin is trying to broker a deal with the education community over the states handling of health-care benefits for retired public workers. The lawsuits target a decision this past summer by the Public Employees Insurance Agency finance board to stop subsidizing retiree coverage, starting with workers hired after next June.
Vol. 29, Issue 08, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal-Multiple Vacancies
- Polk County Schools, Bartow, FL
- Senior Director, Business Development and Education Services
- Foundations, Inc., Mount Laurel, NJ
- Director of Secondary Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools, MN
- Charter School Operator
- Options PCS, Multiple Locations
- Mathematics Instructional Support Coach
- Weymouth Public Schools, Weymouth, MA