News in Brief
West Virginia Unions Sue Over Plans for Health-Care Changes
Organizations representing West Virginia’s teachers and school service personnel are suing to block a state agency’s decision to control health-care costs.
The American Federation of Teachers and the West Virginia School Service Personnel Association filed their joint lawsuit in Kanawha County Circuit Court on Oct. 9. The West Virginia Education Association filed a similar lawsuit last month.
The lawsuits come as Gov. Joe Manchin is trying to broker a deal with the education community over the states handling of health-care benefits for retired public workers. The lawsuits target a decision this past summer by the Public Employees Insurance Agency finance board to stop subsidizing retiree coverage, starting with workers hired after next June.
Vol. 29, Issue 08, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Supervisor of Mathematics
- Quakertown Community School District, PA
- Deputy Superintendent of Education Support
- West Virginia Department of Education, Charleston, WV
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent, Rockridge Community Unit School District #300
- Rockridge Community Unit School District #300, Taylor Ridge, IL