News in Brief
West Virginia Unions Sue Over Plans for Health-Care Changes
Organizations representing West Virginia’s teachers and school service personnel are suing to block a state agency’s decision to control health-care costs.
The American Federation of Teachers and the West Virginia School Service Personnel Association filed their joint lawsuit in Kanawha County Circuit Court on Oct. 9. The West Virginia Education Association filed a similar lawsuit last month.
The lawsuits come as Gov. Joe Manchin is trying to broker a deal with the education community over the states handling of health-care benefits for retired public workers. The lawsuits target a decision this past summer by the Public Employees Insurance Agency finance board to stop subsidizing retiree coverage, starting with workers hired after next June.
Vol. 29, Issue 08, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN