News in Brief
Oklahoma Governor Appoints Strategist in Bid for Federal Grants
Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor will return to Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry’s administration later this year in a new role that the governor said last week will prepare the state for federal education grants that reward innovation in the classroom.
Gov. Henry, a Democrat, named Ms. Taylor his chief of education strategy and innovation, a newly created position that will make her responsible for pursuing federal grants earmarked for states that implement strategies to boost educational achievement.
Ms. Taylor served as the governor's secretary of commerce and tourism for three years before she was elected mayor, and she served on his transition team. Ms. Taylor said she would volunteer her time and would not accept a state salary. She is slated to begin her new role after her term as mayor ends on Dec. 7.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA
- Head of School/President
- Saint Gertrude High School, Richmond, VA
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX