News in Brief
Louisiana School Board Reaches Settlement in 'Jena Six' Case
The victim of a beating that stirred civil rights demonstrations in Jena, La., has reached a settlement in a civil case against the LaSalle Parish school board.
The settlement is the last matter expected in the “Jena Six” case, in which six black students were charged with the beating of a white schoolmate. School board lawyer Lottie Bash said last week that the board and Justin Barker, the victim, had reached an undisclosed agreement. Ms. Bash said the school board denied any liability in the case, but felt it was time to wrap up the incident.
The students were originally charged with attempted murder in the case, which sparked protests by civil rights leaders who said the harshness of the charge was because the defendants were black and Mr. Barker was white.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV