News in Brief
KIPP Benefactor Dies
Donald G. Fisher, the co-founder of the Gap clothing chain and a major benefactor of the Knowledge Is Power Program network of schools, died at his home in San Francisco on Sept. 27.
He was 81 and had cancer.
Since 2000, Mr. Fisher and his wife, Doris, had given some $200 million to education and other youth-related causes, half of which supported the growth of the KIPP network and Teach For America, the nonprofit group that recruits teachers for hard-to-staff schools.
Vol. 29, Issue 06, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Research Fellow - Education
- PPIC, San Francisco, CA
- Senior Director, Professional Development Product Management
- The College Board, New York, NY
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY