News in Brief
Middle School Leader in Georgia Wins National Honors
A middle school principal known for her inclusive management style has been named the national middle-level principal of the year for 2010 by the National Association of Secondary School Principals and the MetLife insurance company.
Sheila Kahrs got the news in a surprise ceremony Sept. 9 at her school, Haymon-Morris Middle School in Winder, Ga. Ms. Kahrs opened the school four years ago. Half of its students come from low-income homes, but they produce some of the top test scores in its county and in the state, according to the NASSP.
The association highlighted aspects of her leadership that contribute to good outcomes for students: shared decisionmaking, which includes teachers in hiring decisions; the mentorship of less-experienced teachers by more-experienced ones, which had led to lower turnover; and weekly meetings in which data are analyzed to inform curriculum, instruction, and assessment decisions.
Ms. Kahrs was chosen from among three middle-level finalists. The winner of the high-school-level honor will be announced later this month.
Vol. 29, Issue 03, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Senior Programs Manager (Customer Loyalty)
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Multiple Locations
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Blended High School Principal in NC
- Rocky Mount Prep, Rocky Mount, NC
- Executive Director of Business Services
- Hacienda La Puente Unified School District, CA