News in Brief
San Francisco to Keep JROTC, Ending Three-Year Dispute
A three-year battle over the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps in San Francisco public schools appears to be over.
The program had been scheduled to be phased out this month after school officials voted in 2006 to end the training.
But by a 4-3 vote on June 9, the board agreed to restore the JROTC program to its original condition by allowing it to satisfy physical education requirements. The move is expected to increase enrollment in JROTC, while allowing the 55,000-student school district to justify the cost.
Vol. 28, Issue 35, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Math Team Lead
- Perspectives Charter Schools, Chicago, IL
- Director, Psychometrics & Statistics
- COLLIER COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS, Naples, FL
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Spanish Teacher
- Adams County School District 50, Westminster, CO
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC