News in Brief
Troubled Georgia District Wins Accreditation, Selects Leader
The lone finalist for the Clayton County, Ga., superintendent’s job says he is committed to turning around the troubled district.
Edmond Heatley met with parents and community members last week to talk about his goals for the 48,000-student system. The retired Marine is the superintendent of the Chino Valley Unified School District in California.
Mr. Heatley is the only finalist from a pool of 60 candidates, but state law requires that the school board wait two weeks to vote on his appointment.
The district won back accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools last month after nine months without it. The loss of accreditation was partly due to chronic leadership turnover.
Vol. 28, Issue 31, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Enrollment Ombudsman
- Hempstead Union Free School District, Long Island, NY
- Teaching and Learning Specialist
- Southern Poverty Law Center, Montgomery, AL
- Principal K3-8
- Summerville Catholic School, Summerville, SC
- ISS iFair
- International Schools Services, US