News in Brief
Troubled Georgia District Wins Accreditation, Selects Leader
The lone finalist for the Clayton County, Ga., superintendent’s job says he is committed to turning around the troubled district.
Edmond Heatley met with parents and community members last week to talk about his goals for the 48,000-student system. The retired Marine is the superintendent of the Chino Valley Unified School District in California.
Mr. Heatley is the only finalist from a pool of 60 candidates, but state law requires that the school board wait two weeks to vote on his appointment.
The district won back accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools last month after nine months without it. The loss of accreditation was partly due to chronic leadership turnover.
Vol. 28, Issue 31, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Head of School/President
- Saint Gertrude High School, Richmond, VA
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY