News in Brief
Congress Gives Final Passage To Expansion of AmeriCorps
Tens of thousands of Americans, from teenagers to baby boomers, soon will get a fresh chance to lend a helping hand in a time of need.
The U.S. House of Representatives voted 275-149 March 31 for a $5.7 billion bill that triples positions in the Clinton-era AmeriCorps program, its largest expansion since the agency’s creation in 1993, and establishes a fund to help nonprofit organizations recruit and manage more volunteers. AmeriCorps offers a range of volunteer opportunities including housing construction, youth outreach, disaster response, and caring for the elderly.
The Senate passed a similar measure last month. Congress was sending the bill to President Barack Obama, who has made national-service programs a high priority. His budget proposal calls for more than $1.1 billion for the programs, an increase of more than $210 million. The president plans to sign the measure.
Vol. 28, Issue 28, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL