News in Brief
Congress Gives Final Passage To Expansion of AmeriCorps
Tens of thousands of Americans, from teenagers to baby boomers, soon will get a fresh chance to lend a helping hand in a time of need.
The U.S. House of Representatives voted 275-149 March 31 for a $5.7 billion bill that triples positions in the Clinton-era AmeriCorps program, its largest expansion since the agency’s creation in 1993, and establishes a fund to help nonprofit organizations recruit and manage more volunteers. AmeriCorps offers a range of volunteer opportunities including housing construction, youth outreach, disaster response, and caring for the elderly.
The Senate passed a similar measure last month. Congress was sending the bill to President Barack Obama, who has made national-service programs a high priority. His budget proposal calls for more than $1.1 billion for the programs, an increase of more than $210 million. The president plans to sign the measure.
Vol. 28, Issue 28, Pages 4-5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX