News in Brief
N.C. School Governance Changes With Dual Role for Appointed CEO
Gov. Beverly Perdue's choice to lead North Carolina's public school system has a second title after being elected chairman of the state board of education.
Former Cumberland County schools Superintendent Bill Harrison was sworn in as a board member March 5. Within minutes, he was elected chairman, replacing the outgoing chairman, Howard Lee.
Mr. Harrison also is chief executive officer of the state's public school system, which serves 1.5 million students. His dual titles are part of Ms. Perdue's plan to consolidate power in public education and make the governor ultimately responsible for public school performance.
Looking on to Mr. Harrison's elevation was elected state schools Superintendent June Atkinson, whose role will continue to be diminished.
Vol. 28, Issue 24, Page 5
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Seminole County Public Schools, Sanford, FL
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX
- Christ the King Preparatory School, NJ
- Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
- Roanoke City Public Schools, Roanoke, VA