News in Brief
Teacher Sex With Teenage Students Would be Felony Under S.C. Bill
South Carolina teachers who have sex with students 16 and older could be sent to prison for up to five years, under a bill that won initial approval from state lawmakers.
The Senate bill approved on March 4 in a judiciary subcommittee makes it a felony for school employees in supervisory roles to have sex with those teenage students. Currently, teenagers can consent at 16.
School workers who have sex with students who are 16 or 17 without coercion or force would be sent to prison for five years. With an 18-year-old student, the employee would face a $500 fine and 30 days in jail.
State schools Superintendent Jim Rex has pushed for tougher penalties against school employees who sexually abuse students. He says it rarely happens, but any instance is an outrage.
Vol. 28, Issue 24, Pages 4-5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Upper School (6th-12th grade) General Studies Principal
- Robert M. Beren Academy, Houston, TX
- Superintendent, Clarke County Public Schools
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Berryville, VA
- SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS - CANTON, MS
- Canton Public School District, Canton, MS
- Classroom Teachers
- The Cambridge Schools, Doha, Qa, Qatar
- High School Director of School Support and Improvement
- Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD