News in Brief
Lynn, Mass., Schools Exchange Layoffs for Unpaid Work Day
A Massachusetts city has rescinded school layoffs after its teachers’ union voted to work one day without pay.
Officials in Lynn said administrators and other nonunion employees followed the lead of the teachers by also agreeing to an unpaid workday. As a result, the department canceled about 120 layoffs that had been scheduled to take effect March 16.
Schools in the North Shore city originally faced a $1 million deficit in the current fiscal year. Administrators were able to cut the gap in half through nonsalary reductions.
Vol. 28, Issue 24, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Executive Director, Charter Schools
- School District of Philadelphia, PA
- Multiple Special Services
- Maine Regional School Union No. 10, Dixfield, ME
- Multiple Positions
- Jersey City Public Schools, Jersey City, NJ