News in Brief
Lynn, Mass., Schools Exchange Layoffs for Unpaid Work Day
A Massachusetts city has rescinded school layoffs after its teachers’ union voted to work one day without pay.
Officials in Lynn said administrators and other nonunion employees followed the lead of the teachers by also agreeing to an unpaid workday. As a result, the department canceled about 120 layoffs that had been scheduled to take effect March 16.
Schools in the North Shore city originally faced a $1 million deficit in the current fiscal year. Administrators were able to cut the gap in half through nonsalary reductions.
Vol. 28, Issue 24, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Rockridge Community Unit School District #300
- Rockridge Community Unit School District #300, Taylor Ridge, IL
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Supervisor of Mathematics
- Quakertown Community School District, PA
- Deputy Superintendent of Education Support
- West Virginia Department of Education, Charleston, WV