News in Brief
S.C. School District to Appeal Ruling on Method of Electing Board
A South Carolina school district says it will appeal a federal judge's ruling that its method of electing school board members discriminates against blacks.
The Lexington District 3 school board voted Feb. 23 to ask the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider a ruling made earlier this month. The court ruled that the district’s system of putting all candidates on the ballot at one time, with the top vote-getters gaining the open seats, violates federal discrimination law.
Vol. 28, Issue 23, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations