News in Brief
S.C. School District to Appeal Ruling on Method of Electing Board
A South Carolina school district says it will appeal a federal judge's ruling that its method of electing school board members discriminates against blacks.
The Lexington District 3 school board voted Feb. 23 to ask the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to reconsider a ruling made earlier this month. The court ruled that the district’s system of putting all candidates on the ballot at one time, with the top vote-getters gaining the open seats, violates federal discrimination law.
Vol. 28, Issue 23, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Middle School Director
- Greensboro Day School, Greensboro, NC
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Office Assistant
- Bell Shore Florist, CA