News in Brief
Beverly Hall of Atlanta Named Superintendent of the Year
Beverly L. Hall, the superintendent of the Atlanta school district, has been named National Superintendent of the Year for 2009 by the American Association of School Administrators.
The winner was announced Feb. 20 at the organization’s annual conference in San Francisco.
Ms. Hall has led the 49,000-student Atlanta school system for 10 years. Her early professional years were spent in New York City as a teacher, principal, community school district superintendent, and deputy chancellor for instruction.
She later was appointed superintendent of the state-run Newark, N.J., schools.
Ms. Hall’s work in Atlanta has earned her praise for raising student achievement, lowering student absenteeism, and improving teacher training and school leadership. All the district’s elementary schools made adequate yearly progress in 2006-07. ("Atlanta's Own 'Hall' Of Famer," Nov. 12, 2008.)
Vol. 28, Issue 22, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Big Lake School District, Big Lake, MN, Big Lake, MN
- Talent Recruiter
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Glenwood Springs, CO
- Superintendent of Schools
- Fremont County School District #14, Ethete, WY
- Chief Information Officer and Special Projects Manager
- Randolph Public Schools, MA
- Modern & Classical Languages Department Chair
- New Trier Township High School District 203, Winnetka, IL