News in Brief
Obamas Pick Private School, Citing 'Fit,' Security, Privacy
President-elect Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, have chosen a private school for their two daughters, opting for an institution that another White House child, Chelsea Clinton, attended a decade ago.
Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7, will be attending Sidwell Friends School, a private, Quaker school with a campus in northwest Washington for grades 5-12 and another in suburban Bethesda, Md., for kindergarten through 4th grade. Malia is in 5th grade and Sasha is in 2nd grade.
“A number of great schools were considered,” said Katie McCormick Lelyveld, a spokeswoman for Michelle Obama. “In the end, the Obamas selected the school that was the best fit for what their daughters need right now.” ("Obamas Take Up Search for a School for Their Daughters," Nov. 19, 2008.)
She said Sidwell Friends can provide the security and privacy that the girls will need as part of the new first family. Tuition is $28,442 at the lower school and $29,442 at the middle and upper schools.
Vol. 28, Issue 14, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Program Officer, Teacher Development
- Knowles Science Teaching Foundation, Moorestown, NJ
- Southeast Polk Community School District, Pleasant Hill, IA
- Principal - Secondary (Pool)
- Jefferson County Public Schools, Golden, CO
- Eugene School District 4J, Eugene, OR
- School Based Therapist
- Okanogan Behavioral HealthCare, Omak, WA