Why Take Advanced Math?
A Washington organization that promotes rigorous academic standards is presenting students, parents, and policymakers with what it hopes are practical reasons why it is important to take advanced math through the publication of a newly released collection of documents and other resources.
It also includes five brochures that attempt to show, specifically, how math skills are used on the job in the aerospace, manufacturing, construction, health-care, and information-technology industries.
One brochure, for instance, explains how new hires at Toyota receive math training in computing, real numbers, models, and linear equations, and describes how those skills are used on the factory floor. New employees who have solid grounding in those areas come in with an advantage, the document says.
Vol. 28, Issue 13, Page 5
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Senior Education Policy Analyst, North Carolina
- The Hunt Institute, Durham, NC
- Middle School Principal
- Roosevelt Children's Academy Charter School, Roosevelt, NY
- Cristo Rey Jesuit College Preparatory School of Houston, Houston, TX
- Engineering & Robotics Teacher
- String Theory Schools, Philadelphia, PA
- Deputy Director for Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
- Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), Wiesbaden, Germany