News in Brief
Students Sue Wash. State District Over Student Newspaper Article
Four current and former high school students have sued the Puyallup, Wash., school district, claiming they were harassed after their names were used in a story about their sex lives in their school’s student newspaper.
The lawsuit says the two current and two former students from Emerald Ridge High did not give their consent to print their testimonials about their sexual experiences. All four were identified by name in the story, and they say they were sexually harassed, mocked, and jeered by other students after it was published in February.
The four are not identified in the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified financial damages. School officials declined comment. The suit was filed Nov. 12 in U.S. District Court in Tacoma.
Vol. 28, Issue 13, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Multiple Positions
- Jersey City Public Schools, Jersey City, NJ
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL
- Executive Director, Charter Schools
- School District of Philadelphia, PA
- Multiple Special Services
- Maine Regional School Union No. 10, Dixfield, ME