News in Brief
Students Sue Wash. State District Over Student Newspaper Article
Four current and former high school students have sued the Puyallup, Wash., school district, claiming they were harassed after their names were used in a story about their sex lives in their school’s student newspaper.
The lawsuit says the two current and two former students from Emerald Ridge High did not give their consent to print their testimonials about their sexual experiences. All four were identified by name in the story, and they say they were sexually harassed, mocked, and jeered by other students after it was published in February.
The four are not identified in the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified financial damages. School officials declined comment. The suit was filed Nov. 12 in U.S. District Court in Tacoma.
Vol. 28, Issue 13, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom