News in Brief
Austin Superintendent Honored by Council of the Great City Schools
Pascal D. Forgione Jr., the superintendent of the Austin Independent School District in Texas, has won the Richard R. Green Award for outstanding school district leadership.
The Council of the Great City Schools, a Washington-based advocacy group for 66 of the nation’s largest urban school districts, presented Mr. Forgione with the award at a dinner on Oct. 23, during its annual conference in Houston.
In singling out Mr. Forgione among 11 nominees, the council noted that student achievement in Austin has been trending upward since he took the helm in 1999. Its fiscal stability and community support have also grown, as indicated by the passage of three bond measures, the council said.
The award is given in alternating years to a superintendent and to a board member. It comes with a $10,000 college scholarship to be given to a high school senior in the recipient’s district.
Vol. 28, Issue 11, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Tennessee State Teacher Fellows Program Director
- Hope Street Group, TN
- International Schools First Ever iFair
- International Schools Services, Multiple Locations
- Marketing Communications Manager, North America (CIE)
- Cambridge International Examinations, New York City, NY
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA
- Educational Administrator
- YWCA El Paso del Norte, El Paso, TX