Iowa Mandates 'Core Curriculum' for Private Schools
Legislators in Iowa, a state long known for devotion to local control of schools, have approved a new statewide curriculum mandate that has some private school advocates alarmed.
Under the measure, not only all of Iowa’s public school districts, but also its state-accredited nonpublic schools, would have to adhere to the Iowa Core Curriculum , which spells out key skills and concepts all students should master. Gov. Chet Culver, a Democrat, was expected to sign the measure...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL