News in Brief
Acting Director Promoted to Lead Federal Office for Indian Education
U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings has tapped Cathie Carothers to be the director of the Indian education office within the U.S. Department of Education’s office of elementary and secondary education.
Ms. Carothers, whose appointment took effect Jan. 20, has served as the office’s acting director since October. She has been with the department since 1990.
Her first federal job was teaching students with learning disabilities at a K-8 boarding school in Oklahoma operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
Vol. 27, Issue 21, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Vice President, Teacher Preparation Strategies
- National Council on Teacher Quality, Washington, DC
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA