Math, Science, and Golf School
Spellings, Mickelson highlight academies.
There stood Phil Mickelson, one of the world’s most accomplished golfers, atop a makeshift green, club at the ready. So why was Margaret Spellings doing the putting?
The secretary of education, it turns out, had joined the PGA Tour member in discussing the importance of math and science education to the nation—as well as the subjects’ value in daily life, such as in lining up a putt.
Ms. Spellings and Mr. Mickelson appeared July 23 at an event to promote the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academies—summer workshops aimed at helping elementary math and science teachers improve their classroom skills. The event was held at the Irving, Texas-based oil company’s offices in Fairfax, Va., the site of one academy. The others are...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
- Amargosa Valley Elementary School, Amargosa Valley, NV
- Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
- Roanoke City Public Schools, Roanoke, VA
- Round Rock ISD, Round Rock, TX
- The Berkeley Institute, HAMILTON, Bermuda
- Christ the King Preparatory School, NJ